Century of Progress International Exposition - Chicago 1933

A century of progress

May 27 - November 12, 1933 and June 1 - October 31, 1934


Back - List of Pavilions

Agricultural Building

Agricultural Building at the Exhibition Expo Chicago 1933

© Kaufmann & Fabry Co

Different in nature from a traditional agricultural exhibition in the sense that this exhibition appeals to both city and country dwellers, the nation's basic industry is not forgotten either and all this is presented in the huge agricultural building, just south of the Adler Planetarium. The history of agriculture and its industries is presented here, which is new for a world exhibition.

The building is a steel-framed structure 200 metres long, 30 metres wide and 13 metres high, with a modern design and artificial lighting and ventilation. The terraces, which run the length of the western side of the building, are designed as outdoor lounges and provide the perfect place to view the lagoon and the mainland.

An unusually shaped corridor runs the length of the building and the height of the structure inside, from which the many exhibits are presented on both sides. The displays relate almost exclusively to the preparation and distribution of food, the methods that have completely revolutionised the food industry over the past century.

Livestock producers, stocking companies, packers, sausage makers, meat retailers and affiliated groups have come together to present a realistic and interesting picture of the progress made in livestock and meat production. From the great ranches of the West to the manufacturing plants of Chicago, the visitor can understand the meat processing chain. No brand names or trademarks are featured throughout this exhibition, which represents the entire industry.

In a log cabin at one end of the room, figures representing "Aunt Jemima" making pancakes.

©Official Guide Book 1933-1934