© Kaufmann & Fabry Co
Comb-shaped on the plan, with five pavilions and four courtyards open to the lagoon, the general exhibition group extends for almost a quarter of a mile south of the Hall of Science to which it is connected by a double arcade, where shops and displays are found.
With this opening to the lagoon and its pools, the buildings themselves seem to invite the visitor to enter and see represented the living histories of the furniture, graphic arts, office equipment, leather and sports goods, cosmetics, jewellery, textiles and mining industries and industrial engineering.
The 5 pavilions are 110 feet wide and are separated by courtyards, each of which is 120 feet wide. In the centre of each pavilion is a large hall, 40 feet wide and 160 feet long, with an unusually high ceiling that lends itself to spectacular effects. Stairs and lead railings on the upper level, from which one can look down into the main hall.
Produced at remarkably low cost, and simple in construction, the General Exhibition buildings are another outstanding example of Exhibition architecture.
Among the many well-known companies in this group of buildings are the Illinois Steel company, Gulf Refining company, Elgin National Watch company, Phoenix Hosiery company, Pure Oil company, and L. E. Waterman company. About 50 other companies, from salt-adding machine manufacturers to theatre tickets, are also present.
Included in the Illinois Steel company display is a large Scenorama depicting steel's share of advances in aviation and shipping and all the major uses of steel.
©Official Guide Book 1933-1934