"Expanding the horizons of the Pacific" was the theme of the pavilion, and Chile was resolutely looking towards the Pacific and Asian nations to expand its cultural and commercial relations.
This was the first exhibition of its kind in which Chile had participated since the 1889 Paris Exposition Universelle, a demonstration of the importance Chile placed on Expo'70. To further demonstrate this, it can be pointed out that Chile was the first South American country to validate its participation. Chile also issued a series of stamps commemorating the World Expo in Japan.
The Chilean pavilion was designed by the Chilean architects Federico Guevara, Gonzalo Asenjo and Isaac Esquenazi. In collaboration with the architect Hugo Hernandez and the engineers Ramon Undurraga and Paul Ramirez. The building was a steel cylinder resting on a reticular structure of steel pipes, it had a roof of Chilean copper sheets.
It was taken into account to take full advantage of the potentialities of the building materials, as limited as by any stability standards. Thus, the pavilion reflected one of the fundamental characteristics of the Chilean people: their love of simplicity, elegance and balance in their daily lives. This character trait is revealed in the way they use all their resources and knowledge in a rational way.
The pavilion was located opposite the Plaza on Friday. At the entrance, a volcanic stone moai brought from Easter Island symbolised Chile's presence in the Pacific. The interior design presented an image of Chile in its geographical, cultural, industrial, institutional and human context through media such as audio-visuals and files that the visitor discovered an oasis of rest and tranquillity.