Back - List of Pavilions

Holland - Expo Paris 1855

Missing picture

Following this direction, one arrives at the Dutch exhibition, occupying the whole centre of the upper gallery. At the front and on the side of the balustrade one notices, on the left, a collection of objects from Japan, such as lacquer furniture and chests, utensils etc.; on the right, furniture from various Dutch manufacturers. Moving up this compartment, one sees, on the right, mathematical instruments, a collection of objects of all kinds made by the blind of the Amsterdam institution, perfumery, goldsmiths' and jewellers' wares, including a magnificent diamond bouquet. Further on comes a collection of models of ships; we see, among others, the model of an iron mast with its cup, for ships of 1,000 tons; the model of a bombardment position of the state corvette, the Proserpine; models of the camels used in the 17th century to make ships pass over the shallows; the model of a river boat with all its equipment; and finally the model of a ship's pump of new invention.

This brings us to the back of the compartment, which forms a vast dressing room decorated with three magnificent woollen carpets of enormous dimensions. Those on either side come from the Royal Manufacture at Deventer, and imitate the carpets of Smyrna: they are priced at 1,200 and 1,800 fr. The one placed above the box, from the manufacture of Messrs Bon et Cie at Amsterdam, measures 8 square metres, and costs 7,000 fr. Among the numerous and diverse products placed in the lodge, one notices above all a curious collection sent by the Governor General of the Dutch Indies: these are weapons which belonged to Japanese chiefs, and objects made by the natives of the island of Java; several swords enclosed in scabbards of carved wood, are decorated with diamonds, fine stones, gold and silver. In addition, there are several excellent chronometer-compensators, a hygrometer and other mathematical and physical instruments. And let's not forget an assortment of permanent magnets, including one weighing 105 kilograms.

Returning to the front of the gallery, on the right are models of the famous Vlissingen and Middlebourg locks, as well as a model of a fisherman's dugout canoe, which can be used to dry out at any time, both at high and low tide. Further forward, there are gold and silver braids and embroidery for the military, then furniture, a complete collection of the most beautiful letterpress prints of recent years, bindings, engravings, etc. In the middle of the compartment, on the side of the wall, there is a square filled with blankets and sheets; further forward, there is an enormous display case with goldsmiths' and jewellers' wares: a rich collection of church ornaments is particularly noteworthy, as well as a very fine tableware of silver and crystal.

The small alley situated to the right of the back box and bordering the compartment we have just mentioned, still belongs, for the left side, to Holland: one sees there the paintings, fabrics, earthenware and glasses. In front of it is a large glass cage: it contains a collection of stuffed birds from Northern Brabant.

©Promenades dans l'exposition de 1855