The first exhibition to be seen on entering France is that of clocks and precision instruments. Here the annex is separated into two aisles by a line of small shops which occupy the centre, leaning against each other and facing each other.
Let us enter the left-hand aisle, on the waterfront side: the visitor will notice in the first window a black marble clock by Grandperrin and a pendilla with porcelain medallions; opposite, a bell clock by Galle, in Paris. This clock, which runs for thirty hours without being wound, without oil, with pinions in one piece and tempered, costs only 600 fr. On the side, Arera has displayed a clock placed in a basket of flowers; flies mark the hours. Butterflies flutter around it, it is a kind of toy. Opposite, Albert Petry from Voulaines, presents a remarkable cheap bell tower clock. On the side, Brocot and Deletrez show a clock on a wooden body, indicating the days and months, and next to it a gilded clock surmounted by a candelabra that rises in the middle, a new system. Opposite, in the centre, stands the large and beautiful Bréguet display case. To the left of the window one sees his portable telegraph of the railways; on the front a printing telegraph of the Morse system, at the bottom the telegraphic apparatuses of the Southern and Northern railways, on each side, and that of the State in the middle. In a small watch at the front there are watches of 800, 1,900, 2,300 and 4,300 francs. In the middle are watches, one of 10,000 fr, which indicates the phases of the moon and which is sold to the viceroy of Egypt; the other perpetual watch whose whole mechanism is visible through a glass case and which is quoted 30,000 fr. On the left side is a sympathetic clock worth 12,000 fr, and finally a travel clock worth 6,000 fr. Paul Garnier, next to it, has exhibited a large clock on a box of a dozen feet. At the bottom are a service controller; night watchmen; a meter, and a steam pressure indicator on the left. Behind the latter is a movable sign cylinder for printing telegraphic dispatches (Morse system).
Next to it is the Niot Blin house with spindle turners, and you arrive at the large exhibition of Wagner nephew. A large public monument clock on top of a frame, which can be seen from the entire annex, forms the main room. The clock mechanism can be seen hanging between the pillars that support it. To the right of this clock, facing the Exhibition, in the middle of the annex, is a metronome for beating out the music. On the front, still on the right, is a very simple clock that is only priced at 400 francs; next to it is a movement that can run several dials. On the left, we see an instrument built for the École des Ponts-et-Chaussées, which records the movements of the tides. On the left is Galileo's clock, first built by his son in 1649, which
by his son in 1649, recomposed by Boquillon after a letter from Viviani in 1659 and executed by Wagner nephew. Back on the side that runs along the Cours-la-Reine, opposite Wagner, is a magnificent clock indicating the different hours according to the latitudes, Europe, Australia, Africa, then the months, the lunations, the constellations, etc., etc. The antipodes of Paris marked on it, are the small island of Saint-Pierre (Australia). In this aisle only the astronomical glasses of Bardou remain to be seen, the clock system for the church of Sainte-Clotilde, exhibited by Colin, and finally an important Breton manufacturer, M. Gourdin, who makes steeple clocks -, opposite, are samples of the clock-making of the Jura. In the galleries under the vault of the first floor, on the left, along the water, are weighing instruments, waxed cloths, soaps, chemical products and platinum vases for concentrating acids; on the right, stoves, furnaces and fountains.
Going back to the left-hand aisle, which we left at Wagner, we find precision instruments, in the middle section, regulators, physics instruments, a pneumatic machine, etc., a beautiful battery of 50 different elements, similar to the one used for lighting the docks, which cost 275 fr. Opposite are siphons for making seltzer. Then there are exhibitions of confectioners, the Fidèle Berger of the rue des Lombards, Guérin-Boulon the chocolate maker, etc. Opposite, instruments of physics and the daguerreotype. In the aisle on the right, we first meet in the centre, Mr. Charles Chevalier. He exhibits, among other things, daguerreotype boxes with the resulting plates; a magnificent transparent print on albumen from the Louvre pavilion can be seen. After Mr. Chevalier comes Breton, with an electro-medical apparatus and pneumatic machines. Opposite, Rogeat of Lyon with drawing machines and two steps after Rogeat, a model of a train and a locomotive boiler.
Behind this aisle continues the exhibition of smoke-making, which at its end also invades the centre. All the specimens of the use of caloric and cold are presented there. One will notice, in the centre, the system of ventilation and heating, applied to the Polytechnic school by Mr. René-Duvoir; on the right, next to it, that of the great Lariboissière hospital, of the Clos Saint-Lazare in Paris, next to that of the Imperial Institute of France; next to it again, the kitchens of the Lycée Napoléon, with a system of heating for the studies. All this is on the right". Then, still on the same side, we come to the exhibition of elastic anatomy pieces by Doctor Auzoux of Paris. One will notice a beautiful horse skin, a snake's head, a silkworm, etc. All these pieces can be dismantled and put together. All these pieces can be dismantled and are anatomically constructed inside. In the inner aisle are stoves and fireplaces; on the wall, tools for carving and large hardware. The aisle on the left is occupied by the windows of the Parisian perfumers.
Let us return to the right, where we find first on the side the marbles of Corsica; in the centre the forges of Audincourt; an altar of Lanfray and Baud of Lyon and an elegant pulpit in cast iron; then the model of a wrought iron shaft for the ether steamer, the Arago, and next to it, the model of a wrought iron hammer intended for a pestle of 8,000 kilograms for the workshops of the navy. These two pieces are under construction by Mr. Cavé. In the aisle on the left you can see cast iron, an enormous vat from the Conches foundry; in the middle section and immediately afterwards, the exhibition of Boigues, Chambourg et Cie, water pipes, wheels, a bust of the Emperor, and the
bust of the Emperor, an enormous gold cable, steel and sheet metal. On the side, still on the left, is a series of bells, among others a very well mended one.
At the end, there are safes. This aisle ends with a magnificent side mount, cast by Em. Martin, and by the bells for the church of Sainte-Clotilde in Paris, whose clock we have already seen, bells by Hildebrand. Along the wall are sheets and specimens of cast iron. In the aisle on the right, the side is occupied by marbles. In the centre is the exhibition of Montataire; rails of there 80 centimetres in length, 360 kilograms of weight, 19 metres in length on 380 kilograms of weight, 17 metres 50 centimetres on 149 kilograms of weight, sheet metal plates of 1550 and 1100 kilograms of weight. Opposite on the side, one will see beautiful pink and grey marble from Boulogne; next to it, a table in Fleury red, then steel and copper boards of great beauty. In the centre is the great exhibition of Jackson brothers, Pelin and Gaudet. They have exhibited the most remarkable piece of cast iron to be seen at the Exhibition - a steamboat shaft weighing no less than 23,000 kilograms.
In the left-hand aisle are forge products, and next to them, portable forges. In the centre, the exhibition of Banis et Cie (Vosges), offers an elegant portico built entirely of cast iron. Opposite, the Grand-Central Railway exhibited its cast iron. In the aisle on the right, we now find the coals. The mines of Anzin have built a massif, which is nothing other than a large model representing the interior of the mine, the series of works, the miners, their instruments, their working methods, their skips, their machines, etc. On the top of this massif, another small wooden model has been erected, intended to show the system of articulated bridges, invented and used by M. Cabony, engineer and director of the works at Anzin. At the back of this model are all the clothes and tools of the miners, hung up as a trophy. The bottom of the right-hand aisle, under the vault of the first floor, is occupied by hardware, brass wires, etc.; that on the left by coals and chemicals.
©Promenades dans l'exposition de 1855