World Exhibition Paris 1878

New Technologies

May 1, 1878 - October 31, 1878


Back - List of Pavilions

Luxembourg, Monaco, San Marino, Andorra

Luxembourg, Monaco, San Marino, Andorra at the Exhibition Paris 1878

Immediately after the collective facade of the Eastern and African States, the facade of the following small European States rises: the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, the Principality of Monaco and the Republics of Val d'Andorra and San Marino, touching the Gothic facade or approximately of Portugal.

The pavilion on the left belongs to the Grand Duchy and is a reduction of the former palace of the States of Luxembourg, built in the 16th century by the Spaniards and now the residence of Prince Henry of the Netherlands.

Next to it is the collective pavilion of Monaco, which built the entrance door through which Luxembourg itself enters and which has placed above it its coat of arms, composed of lozenges silver and gules with the motto Deo juvante; of San Marino, to whom belongs the glass window on the first floor, surmounted by the three-towered escutcheon on an azure background, with the proud and simple motto : Libertas; and finally, Val d'Andorra, which paid for the upper balustrade, also flanked by the Andorran escutcheons.

©Les Merveilles de l'Exposition de 1878