Brussels World Fair 1935

Theme of transport and colonization

April 27, 1935 - November 6, 1935


Back - List of Pavilions

Denmark

Denmark at the Exhibition Expo Brussels 1935

© L'Epi

Architect(s) : Tyge Hvass

The Danish National Pavilion, the largest that Denmark has ever built at a World Fair, stood on Avenue du Gros Tilleul between those of Sweden and Switzerland. It covered an area of 7,000 square metres, half of which was reserved for the main building. The other half was occupied by a flowerbed of Poulsen's famous roses, and included a restaurant where the public could taste beer and the Danish specialities, "snaps" and "smerrebreds", which were a great success.

Outside was a monument with the three lions of the national coat of arms; the walls were covered with paintings of rural and maritime life by Danish artists and a huge map of Denmark, illuminated at night.

The main entrance, with its large hall, led to a 375-seat cinema where a film about Denmark was shown. The Pavilion was visited by 2,000,000 people; the cinema received 350,000 spectators. In the hall, the heart of the Danish concession, there was information about the country's agricultural and social life, schools, the capital and the most important cities, railways, shipping and tourism. Greenland was represented in the most picturesque way. Following the main hall was a room devoted to the art industries, the rest of the building being reserved for agricultural and industrial life.

The pavilion itself was designed in a very modern style by its author, the famous architect Tyge Hvass.

A further section was dedicated to the Faroe Islands, the northernmost part of Denmark, where the results of the magnificent research carried out by national expeditions were displayed, as well as an exhibition of engines for fishing boats.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs had set up a commercial information office at the entrance to the Pavilion, next to a tourist information office. The Greenlandic section attracted particular attention, as did the art industries: glassware, bookbindings, silverware and the famous Copenhagen earthenware. Danish art and architecture were represented at the Salon de l'Art Moderne.

Numerous receptions were organised at the Danish Pavilion; the Commissioner General, Mr. Helge Wamberg, received in particular the artists and craftsmen who collaborated in the construction of the pavilion; the staff of the section and that of the Swedish section on the occasion of the marriage of the Crown Prince of Denmark and Princess Ingrid of Sweden on 24 May 1935; the Association of Engineers who graduated from the Ecole Polytechnique de Bruxelles. During a farewell ceremony, the Commissioner General offered Mr. Adolphe Max, as a sign of his country's friendship for Belgium, the 10,000 Poulsen rosebushes which flowered the beds of his section.