Brussels World Fair 1935

Theme of transport and colonization

April 27, 1935 - November 6, 1935


Back - List of Pavilions

Norway

Norway at the Exhibition Brussels 1935

© L'Epi

Architect(s) : Ole Lind Schistad

The Norwegian pavilion at the World and International Exhibition in Brussels was primarily intended to showcase Norway's attractions as a tourist country.

The external arrangement of the pavilion, as well as the interior and the decorations, were made according to the drawings of Mr. Ole Lind Schistad, architect.

The first part consisted of a vestibule, with glass walls on three sides. There was a counter for selling souvenirs and a small bar with Norwegian beer and sandwiches of canned fish, Norwegian cheese, etc.

The large back wall and ceiling were lined with Norwegian veneer. The wall was also richly decorated, partly with plastic illustrations of various Norwegian tourist attractions. Numerous electric lamps, arranged in decorative patterns, illuminated the entire building.

From the hallway one entered a room reserved for exhibitors. As this part of the pavilion was relatively small, the architect had tried to connect the different sections with glass walls. The display cases and watches of the various exhibitors were adjacent to each other in order to maintain unity. This section included the following items: metal alloys, agricultural products, mountain bags, sports goods, ski bindings, aluminium dairy utensils, kitchen utensils and cans, cod liver oil, rubber shoes, galoshes, newsprint, compressed wood fibre plates and refractory plates.

In the middle of the room, an oxidised copper globe spun slowly under the light of the ceiling reflectors. The various lines served by the steamers of one of Norway's largest shipping companies were indicated on this globe, which gave an excellent idea of the importance of the company's activity.

Above this was the cinematograph machine room, with walls and ceiling covered with Norwegian insulating and refractory boards.

The second room in the pavilion was the cinematograph, with seating for 75 people and very spacious promenades. The decoration of this room was mainly dedicated to travels through Norway. One wall showed all means of locomotion on the water, in a typical fjord landscape, executed in relief with concealed lighting. The other wall showed all means of locomotion on land, such as trains, buses, private cars, carts, etc., all arranged in characteristic inland patterns.

Below the screen were models of Norwegian hotel interiors, comfortable Norwegian railway carriages, and above, framing the screen, backdrops depicting the mountains and waterfalls of Norway.

On each side of the pavilion was a terrace with a small pool. These terraces and the foundations of the flagpole were covered with slabs of Norwegian slate. On one of these terraces was a tanker car for transporting live sea fish with windows so that the public could see the fish inside. On the other terrace were tables and chairs under large umbrellas, connected to a bar. Behind each pool was a glass panel measuring 5 m. 50 by 7 metres. On one of them was painted a map of the North Sea, with all the main steamship lines connecting Norway and Belgium. The other map showed the main travel routes through Norway. The Norwegian coat of arms could be seen above the entrance doors of this bright, modern and very welcoming pavilion.

© Le Livre d'Or de l'Exposition Universelle de Bruxelles 1935