International Exposition of Paris 1867

Agriculture, Industry and Fine Arts

April 1, 1867 - November 3, 1867


Back - List of Pavilions

Electro-metallurgical plant

Electro-metallurgical plant at the Exhibition Expo Paris 1867

It is difficult to see everything in the Park: everything has been scattered there according to the whims of an artistic fantasy, precisely because it was not possible to apply, as in the Palace, the methodical arrangement established by the classification.

Also, happy are the exhibitors who, like those of which our engraving is the subject, have been able to attract the eye by graceful juxtapositions of statues and plants, surrounding a pleasant building itself; the visitor stops, and driven by curiosity, penetrates into these small temples of industry. This is what led us to the pavilion containing the products of the Auteuil electro-metallurgical plant.

Two exhibitors have contributed here to add a new ornament to the Park. L'auteur du kiosque en fonte, qui abrite des statues et des bas-reliefs galvanoplastiques, est M. Barbezat, dont les expositions sont multiples, et l'industriel éminent, locataire de ce pavilion, est M. Oudry, dont le nom est bien connu et dont les expositions sont non moins multiples que celles deM. Barbezat. We shall often find, in the continuation of our descriptions, this association of the container and the contents decorated with a host of variants.

Obviously this kiosk is a greenhouse exhibition, unless it is a greenhouse exhibition, having found no place in the reserved garden. The arrangement of the windows, the way the light is introduced, the architecture itself, everything is very well suited to this double purpose. The ornamentation is elegant, and if we were to enter the realm of technical explanations, we would have so much to say that a special chapter would be needed.

As it is necessarily incomplete for both Mr. Barbezat and Mr. Oudry, we prefer to give a quick general appreciation, reserving the right to go into detail when our draughtsmen are in a position to offer us a view of the special objects of the foundry and electroplating, which are the industries of these two worthy exhibitors. The difficulties overcome by the foundryman, the choice of the artistic models which he executes, the perfection brought to their execution, are all industrial treatises whose introduction we could only touch upon. As for the electroplating works of M. Oudry, the boldness of his processes, the gigantic size of his bas-reliefs, and the ingenious idea he had of armouring vessels by subjecting them to electricity in an ocean of copper sulphate, are only the summary of a scientific history that is thrillingly interesting, and we invite our readers to visit the works before studying the secrets of their conception.

We shall therefore return shortly to the slightly more technical details of the products contained in Mr Oudry's electrometallurgical pavilion, built by Mr Barbezat.

©L'Exposition Universelle de 1867 Illustrée