International Exposition of Paris 1867

Agriculture, Industry and Fine Arts

April 1, 1867 - November 3, 1867


Back - List of Pavilions

Cheuvreux-Aubertot House

Cheuvreux-Aubertot House at the Exhibition Expo Paris 1867

However vast the Palace erected in the Champ de Mars may be, today everyone knows that this Palace, contrary to the broadest calculations and the wisest predictions in appearance, was infinitely too narrow for complete satisfaction to be given to the most legitimate demands. It is needless to say that the Imperial Commission was greatly embarrassed.

To get out of a completely unforeseen difficulty, what did it have to do? The best thing for it to do was simply to follow the example of the municipal council of Paris, and that is what it very wisely did.

The said council, following any new loan opened by the city, is constantly obliged, in view of the considerable number and the enormous figure of the applications, to proceed, not by way of elimination and exclusion, which would be derogatory and unfair to the small depositors, but by way of reduction and proportional distribution, which, without satisfying everyone, is unpleasant to no one.

This is what the Imperial Commission had to do and what it did. In order to satisfy all the requests, it reduced everyone's demands. However, it graciously allowed all those who could find the space granted to them insufficient, the right to settle in the Park and to live there at their ease and according to their convenience.

It is to this liberal concession that we owe most of the elegant kiosks and charming buildings scattered around the Palace, and which resemble so many vigorous shoots sprouting from its roots.

Such is the pavilion of the Cheuvreux-Aubertot house, built near the international theatre, on the designs and under the direction of one of our best architects, Mr. Paul Sédille.

This graceful monument, in Renaissance style, bathed at all hours in a soft light filtered by the surrounding trees, deserves, among all others, by its happy disposition, its graceful distribution, and its rich and coquettish decoration, to be visited in its smallest details by those who wish to take away a souvenir of all the wonders of the Champ de Mars.

Messrs. Hoschedé and Blémond, the heads of this house, were honoured to present themselves at the Exposition armed with all the necessary equipment. Heirs to a doubly glorious commercial past, it was important to them to prove that the establishment they run has remained worthy of its reputation. To this end, they had brought together their most beautiful products to make an overall exhibition that would leave no doubt as to their rank in the great luxury industry.

But for such an important exhibition, space was needed; and as the narrow compartment offered to them could only contain their products in heaps or piled up one on top of the other, they were forced, in spite of themselves, to separate from their group, and to go and set up their tent in the neighbourhood.

Nobility obliges, and of all honourable estates there is a responsibility which cannot be declined without demerit.

Mr. Hoschedé and Blémont have understood this truth since the day they took possession of the house they run; so it is no less for their predecessors than for themselves and for the public that they have wanted to show themselves as they are and that they have not consented to reduce themselves, or to erase themselves in part, for futile reasons of location and locality.

Cheuvreux-Aubertot is not a new company. Founded in 1786 on the broadest and most solid foundations, it has seen its reputation grow and strengthen under each of its successive directors.

The traditions of the founder have remained a law for all.

For the heirs of the Cheuvreux-Aubertot name, for the successors of Legentil, one of our greatest commercial figures, the Champ de Mars Exhibition offered a worthy and marvellous opportunity to perform in the open. What more noble publicity, indeed, and what more honourable advertisement than these. The first as well as the last comers can check them at any time, and no one appreciates and judges better than the one who has the pieces in his hand and under his eyes.

Messrs Hoschedé and Blémont, who have never used other means of publicity, are rightly honoured to use this one to its full extent.

Their pavilion, a seductive announcement, a silent but eloquent advertisement, offers to all visitors the complete set of the rich products of their industry: articles of high novelty, shawls from India, lace from Belgium, Bayeux and Caen, rich stitches from Alençon, baskets, trousseaux, layettes, all that luxury, elegance and good taste seek, is there, not piled up, but exhibited with an art that is one of the secrets of the great houses of Paris.

©L'Exposition Universelle de 1867 Illustrée