The Executive Committee allocated large sums of money, which enabled the country's best sculptors to produce quality works.
The central avenue of the main esplanade was lined with six magnificent statues depicting the major Belgian cities along the Meuse and Scheldt rivers. They were made by the sculptors Jespers, Canneel, de Paepe and Thys. Near the Tourist Palace, you could admire "The Drinker" by Adelin Salle. In the water mirror of the Commissariat Général, the "Muses" were reflected: architecture, painting, sculpture and music, modelled by Mr. Xhrouet. Opposite, Wansart's admirable bas-relief overhung the entrance to the Grand Palais. A work by the sculptor Falise was erected near the Palais des Universités. The entrance to the National Labour Belfry was enhanced by a sculptural group by G. Petit, representing the collaboration of manual and intellectual labour.
The sculptural decoration of the gardens was entrusted to the statuary artists F. Barmarin, E. Bouffa, Canneel, de Meester de Betzenbroeck, R. Motte, Scuvée, M. Wolf and M. Xhrouet.
The sculptors V. Demanet, A. Dupagne, G. Fontaine and L. Grand-moulin were the authors of the splendid groups of the large esplanade.
The architect Montrieux chose the sculptors Van Neste and Wybaux to execute the bas-reliefs decorating his palaces.
A very striking work was certainly 'The Diver' from the Lido by Idel Iankelevice. A group of three musicians, a very original work by Mr Wolf, occupied the centre of the main courtyard of the Bressoux entrance. A "Goddess of Water" by H. Puvrez stood against the rear façade of the Civil Engineering Palace.
But the most important sculptural work is certainly the Memorial to King Albert, in which the sculptors Rau, Dupont, Massart and Berckmans collaborated.
© General Report - International Water Technology Exhibition - Liège 1939