At the entrance to the Left Bank Exhibition, a group of architects from Liège, known as "L'Equerre", drew up the plans and built a playground on the wooded grounds formerly occupied by the Tir Communal. It is intended to welcome the youth of the populous districts and all these young people will be able to play at leisure in a sunny place, populated with trees, decorated with gardens and lawns.
On the ground floor, the building has a large dining room with fully glazed walls. This is followed by a kitchen equipped with the most modern appliances. Large cloakrooms, with showers, washrooms and, in general, all the modern sanitary equipment, complete this complex, which also includes the infirmary and a doctor's surgery. Large covered courtyards shelter the children in case of bad weather.
Children from 2 to 6 years old and children from 6 to 16 years old have special rooms and staff for their respective categories.
The playground has a whole series of attractions: carousels, giant steps, Swedish ladder, etc.; the bathing pleasures are brought to the little ones by two whirlpools supplied with pure, clear water and equipped with wide beaches of sea sand.
What is interesting for the visitor is that, during the Exhibition, this welcoming home serves as a babysitter for children whose parents have left them under the supervision of specialised monitors during their visit to the Liège Exhibition.
©Official map guide - Liège 1939