Back - List of Pavilions

Building architecture - Expo Turin 1911

Building architecture at the Exhibition Expo Turin 1911

The Pilonetto, which probably takes its name from some ancient pillar lost in the fields, spreads out before us the vast amphitheatre of its colonnades alternating with the monumental facades of the various exhibitions, and surmounted by the minarets and the great 38-metre high dome which crowns the centre of the buildings. The view of the waters of the Po River flowing in a curve between rows of poplars, of the white buildings that also form a harmonious curve against the green background of the hill, is so beautiful, so picturesque, that all the visitors unwillingly stop to look at it and admire it longer, before resolving to go down to the bridge that leads to the entrance.

The Pilonetto exhibition has a completely industrial character. From the agricultural industry to the mining and chemical industry, from the manufacturing industry to the metallurgical industry, industry has transported here its entire field of action, as vast as the human activity applied to the research of natural forces and their transformation into products useful for existence.

The surface area covered by the various exhibitions combined is 65,000 square metres. The buildings, built according to a single guiding idea which makes them a single architectural organism, like a single immense pavilion, are skilfully separated by interior courtyards, populated with flowers, flowerbeds, and trees which, while delighting the eye, open up convenient and practical passages from one section to another. The largest of these courtyards, which stretches between the Metallurgy and National Defence on the left and the Silk and Manufacturing Exhibition on the right, is no less than 225 metres long and 40 metres wide and covers a total area of 9,000 square metres.

The entrance colonnade extends over 570 metres in length. The forecourts that form the entrances to the exhibitions of manufacturing industry and Italians abroad are richly decorated with ornaments, friezes, statues and bear the arms of the Italian provinces at the top.

©Guide Officiel de l'Exposition Internationale de Turin 1911