The exhibition of Italian schools abroad is also in the fourth gallery, where we are still located; we only wanted to draw it to the attention of Italian visitors, because of the high patriotic idea that inspired it.
Many Italians will probably be surprised to see that there are so many of our schools abroad, where Italian teachers or masters teach. Especially around the Mediterranean basin, they form a tight network that serves at the same time as a protection for our language and our nationality and as a starting point for our commercial penetration from the coastal cities into the interior.
The schools' exhibits are placed in simple but clean and almost elegant white wooden display cases. Each of these display cases bears the name of a country that is dear to us because of the works accomplished there by our distant fathers, from the Roman legions to the marine republics of the Middle Ages, and because of the no less great works that will certainly be accomplished there by the new Italian generations, virile in their work and boldness.
Tunisia gives the name of its main centres to several showcases. Thus we see the Royal Technical Commercial School, the Royal Vocational Elementary School for Girls Marguerite of Savoy and the G. Turrisi-Colonna school in Tunis. Then there are two kindergartens bearing the names of François Crispi and Joseph Garibaldi, also from Tunis. Let us also mention the Humbert Ier primary schools for boys in Biserte, the Italian schools for girls in Sfax and La Goulette.
In Tripoli we have the primary schools for boys, the technical commercial school, the professional and primary schools for girls.
In Egypt, in Alexandria, in addition to the three above-mentioned schools for boys, girls and commercial technology, there are the evening schools opened by the Dante Alighieri Society, in Cairo, the Garibaldi school for boys, the Humbert I school for girls, the technical-commercial school, the Tahdiria school, and the Leonardo da Vinci evening school of art applied to industry, which exhibits mosaics and objects in relief
Along the coast of Albania, we have the Technical Commercial School and the Vocational School for Girls in Scutari, the
schools of Durazzo, the school of arts and crafts of Janina, which exhibits the work of the different divisions of clockmakers, carpenters, cabinetmakers, blacksmiths and mechanics.
In Salonika, the advanced point towards the East, there are elementary schools for boys and girls, a primary school for girls of the lower classes which bears the name of Princess Yolande and a kindergarten with an orphanage called Queen Helene. We have left for last the technical commercial school, to mention especially his numerous works in different languages, in drawing, accounting and correspondence; his geographical sketches, his diagrams of Italian products and the statistics of the movement of the ships of the Italian General Navigation between Italy and Salonica, during the last ten years, 1901-1910.
As we reluctantly leave this section, we see, in a distant vision, the long lines of our students, boys and girls, long lines of young existences that are opening up to life with the name of Italy in their minds and hearts, who are learning to love her in all the languages of the coast, in Arabic, Greek, Turkish and Albanian; tender intelligences where the seed sown by Mother Italy will germinate and bear good fruit in the future.
©Guide Officiel de l'Exposition Internationale de Turin 1911