Back - List of Pavilions

Arkansas -

Arkansas at the Exhibition Expo Philadelphia 1876
Architect(s) : A. B. Bary
Arkansas at the Exhibition Expo Philadelphia 1876
Architect(s) : A. B. Bary

An octagonal structure, rising like a pavilion or lantern, with three floors, was prepared for the State of Arkansas.

By these means, the building being surrounded by windows, great light is secured. The exterior appearance is neat and pleasing, and the interior is cheerful.

Above the main door, which faces south, is the Arkansas state crest.

The diameter of the central circle of the building is 82 feet; the area is 5,000 square feet.

The ceiling, with a spherical surface, rises to the base of the octagonal dome which, at the top, is 50 feet above the ground. A circle of columns supports the roof of the main octagon. The wall material is wood and glass, the roof iron.

The interior is comfortably fitted up for a double purpose - partly for the accommodation of the Commissioners and citizens of the State, and partly as an exhibition of Arkansas products.


On the north side, a magnificent stuffed eagle with outstretched wings - one of the finest specimens of the bird that can be displayed anywhere - supports the state coat of arms. It overlooks a beautiful Arkansas-made cabinet, constructed of 35 specimens of native wood, and an elegant piece of craftsmanship. Among these are Osage orange, native to the state, white holly, walnut of various textures and appearances, wavy pine, tulip, sassafras, ash, oak, cherry, rattan vine, grape and other varieties. Specimens of the trunks of the trees and vines which have produced these woods in other parts of the hall show that they are of extraordinary size and diameter, proving a wildness and freedom of growth not to be excelled in other parts of the Union.

The grasses and maize and cereals are remarkable. Corn stalks are shown here which are 17 feet high and have produced 76 bushels to the acre.

Cotton, which since the end of the rebellion has become a crop again, is exhibited and is found to be of good quality and long staple.

Lead and iron ores, fossil and magnetic, petrifactions and novaculite or whetstone are also worth examining. The architect of this building was A. B. Bary of Philadelphia. Located on the north side of Fountain Avenue, next to the West Virginia Building on the east side, and not far from the Catholic Fountain.

©Centennial portfolio: a souvenir of the international exhibition at Philadelphia - 1876