Two Commonwealths joined together here in the construction of a building for their common accommodation.
It is in the Gothic style, built in the form of a Greek cross, the arms of which measure 132 feet each from end to end.
A central tower stands at the intersection of the roofs. Dormer windows illuminate the second floor. A large Gothic window opens in each gable, and a square with small pavilions at the intersection of the corners makes the front comfortable. This room serves a dual purpose. It will accommodate the commissioners and visitors of the two States which own it, but it is also intended for an exhibition building of the products of the State of Kansas, which may be better arranged to give a proper idea of the resources of this part of the great West than might be had if they were exhibited in the larger buildings. These exhibits are made in a circular room in the centre of the house, and are approached by wide passages from the north and south.
This structure is located immediately east of the New Jersey State Building. A painting of the large Kansas seal, 9 feet in diameter, is placed above the south entrance and a 12 x 25 foot map of the state hangs below.
©Centennial portfolio: a souvenir of the international exhibition at Philadelphia - 1876