When this structure, north of State Avenue, west of Belmont Avenue, was planned, the intention was to show in a striking way the character and qualities of the different kinds of stone found in the state of Ohio.
This design was partially achieved.
The first floor of the main building is made of stone of different colours and qualities.
The second floor of the façade and gable is made of light-coloured Dayton stone interspersed with limestone.
In the upper part of the gable is displayed a shield, on which the arms of the State of Ohio are carved.
The glass in the windows is made from Massilon stone from a quarry near Ravenna, Ohio. It is thin and clear, and only slightly inferior to French glass.
The other parts of the second floor are of wood, and there is attached a wooden pavilion to the north of the main building, intended to display items from the State of Ohio. The latter is in the modified Gothic villa style and measures 45 feet wide by 60 feet deep.
It is unfortunate that this house could not be finished in the manner originally conceived. It would have been a fine ornament to the park.
The pavilion building is 40 feet in front and 60 feet long. It has a verandah on both sides, that on the west supported by a columned porch, and that on the east being column-free.
Architects, Heard & Sons, of Cleveland, Ohio; builders, Aaron Doan & Co. of Philadelphia.
©Centennial portfolio: a souvenir of the international exhibition at Philadelphia - 1876