The State of Pennsylvania, which generously donated funds for the great exposition, was slow to make arrangements for the accommodation of its own officers and people.
The time for the exhibition was almost upon us before the Legislature made the necessary appropriation.
The plans had been prepared and everything was ready when the contracts were authorised.
When the building was opened, it was pushed forward with such rapidity that it was ready for use within a few days of the opening of the exhibition.
This structure is located south of Fountain Avenue, north of the engine room, near the western end of the lake.
The architecture is in the Gothic style, with a central tower 165 feet high, flanked by two smaller octagonal towers connected to the main one by buttresses.
The building is made of wood and is surrounded by a beautiful piazza six feet wide.
The dimensions are 60x100 feet; the height of the eaves is 22 feet, from which the sloping roof rises 17 feet, making the height at the top 39 feet.
The roof is covered with slate and has dormer windows. At the east and west ends a Gothic porch opens, extending into the gable near the top of the roof. The interior contains a main hall, 30 x 50 feet, two lounges, each 20 feet square, with cloakrooms and other amenities attached. There are also two committee rooms.
The Pennsylvania State Commission and the state government occupy this building as their headquarters, and it will be a resort for the people of the Commonwealth.
Architect, H. J. Schwarzmann; builders, Peters & Burger, of Lancaster, Pa. Cost, $15,000.
©Centennial portfolio: a souvenir of the international exhibition at Philadelphia - 1876