The restaurant "Les Trois Frères Provençaux" is renowned in Paris for its excellence, the preeminence of its accommodations and the superiority of its cuisine.
A branch of this establishment was at the Vienna Exposition, and the owners transferred it to the American Exposition.
The building is on a lot 200 feet by 250 feet. There is a banquet hall, 130x50 feet, with a cafe, private rooms, billiard rooms and a kitchen.
The main lounge is beautifully appointed. On the walls are four large and elegant tapestries, woven with great skill, in which the colours are vivid and the shadows harmoniously managed. They represent hunting scenes, with extremely well drawn and realistic characters, and the effect is complete. This work is as beautiful as anything in any of the great exhibition buildings, and must have required perfect skill and patience in its execution.
The furniture is adapted to the needs of the building. There are a large number of tables conveniently arranged for the accommodation of parties and for the comfort of those who dine alone.
To the sides and front, the floor space is used for the same purpose.
Comfortable awnings cover the entire area, and those who wish to dine or dine alfresco can enjoy the shade and breeze.
On the south side of the building, the tables overlook the lake and are more secluded from observation than other parts of the compound. Here one can enjoy not only the delights of the kitchen, but comfort the eye with the view of the beautiful expanse of water and the coolness that is diffused into the atmosphere by the many jets of the large fountain.
The semicircular portico in front is connected to pavilions that have been converted into wine cellars and stocked with the best vintages. It is estimated that 1000 people can be served at the same time in this restaurant. It is under the management of Léon Goyard, from Paris.
The location is on the southwest corner of Belmont Avenue and Fountain Avenue.
©Centennial portfolio: a souvenir of the international exhibition at Philadelphia - 1876