Back - List of Pavilions

Campbell Printing-press -

Campbell Printing-press at the Exhibition Expo Philadelphia 1876

This can be considered an annex to the engine house and is located due west of that building, near Elm Avenue.

The Campbell Printing-press and Manufacturing Company of New York erected this structure to demonstrate the facilities it has for illustrating the processes by which curatorial art of all kinds is assisted.

The building is 124 feet long by 88 feet wide and is equipped to contain a complete press office, with news and press rooms, and an employment office.

Here are revealed in the simplest manner all the mysteries which once surprised an unexpected world and made one suspect, when Gutenberg and Faust made known their discovery, that by the help of the only father of evil such things could be done.

Reporters and editors can be seen scratching out stories for the press at the rate of twenty pages an hour.

The "devil" of the busy printer reveals himself and issues his unwelcome orders to "copy". The typesetter, with stick and ruler, hovers over his box like a hummingbird over a flower, and hums, as he adjusts his type, the endless refrain of "Click, clickety, click."

The proofreader rushes through his business with apparent speed, but with great sharpness to detect errors and the executive's ability to correct them as they occur. Then comes the work of correcting, adjusting the material into shape, stereotyping perhaps, and the final arrangement of the type on the press, from which the printed sheets soon come out with astonishing rapidity.

Among the presses used is the Campbell rotary and folding printing press, with a capacity of 20,000 folded copies per hour and 25,000 unfolded. In addition, there are a large number of cylinder presses, printing presses and other machines, including the antique press of Isaiah Thomas, the father of printing in New England, together with his office furniture and various other tools and implements connected with the history of typography in this country.

©Centennial portfolio: a souvenir of the international exhibition at Philadelphia - 1876