Back - List of Pavilions

1st Floor - Expo Paris 1889

1st Floor at the Exhibition Expo Paris 1889

The first floor is 57.63 metres above ground level, and the floor area measures 4,200 square metres.
The central part, which has remained completely open over an area of nine hundred square metres, allows the eye to plunge to the ground in the space between the four pillars.
The covered gallery with arcades for the visitors' promenade has a length of 283 metres and a width of 2.60 metres.
In the central part, four restaurants have been built, each with a capacity of five to six hundred people.
These rooms, of different architectural styles, are all very successful and do great credit to the Tower's architect, Mr. Sauvestre, who was responsible for drawing up the plans.
Between Stacks 1 and 4, the Flemish bar.
Between Stacks 1 and 2, the Russian restaurant.
Between Stacks 3 and 4, the Anglo-American bar.
Between pile 2 and 3, the French restaurant run by Brébant. This French restaurant is the only one that is divided into small salons and private rooms. It overlooks the central palace of the Champ de Mars and the Galerie des Machines.

These four establishments are surmounted by a very curious terrace overlooking the fountain of Mr. Saint-Vidal, which is situated more than 50 metres below.
The kitchens, separated from these restaurants by twenty or so steps, are situated with the cellars 55 metres above the ground. They are all powered by electricity and steam. Gas is only used for lighting the restaurants.
On the large frieze at the top of the first floor are the names of the scientists or great French engineers of the century who have contributed most to the progress of science. It is in a way under their invocation that this monument is placed: M. Eiffel wanted to recall their names to the visitors of all nations, as a testimony of public recognition and as a brilliant tribute to their efforts. It was their work that made such an undertaking possible.
It was on this platform that, on 4 July 1888, Mr. Eif-fel invited to lunch a hundred representatives of the Parisian press. No foreigner had ever made this ascent, and the guests at this great premiere were:
MM. Hébrard, president of the Parisian Press Union; Berger, director of the Exhibition's operations; Paul Strauss, Charles Laurent, Alphonse Humbert, Albiot, de Léris, Rouy, secretary of the Press Union, Francisque Sarcey, Valentin Simond, Henri Simon, Eugène Mayer, Henry Maret, Joseph Reinach, Gustave Simon, Jules Lermina, Sauvestre, the Tower's architect; Jules Comte, director of civil buildings; Vaudoyer, architect of the Exhibition; Edmond Lepelletier, Gustave Batiau, Edgard Hé-ment, Robert Hyenne, Gaston Carie, A. Lenoir, Camille Dreyfus, Marc, Grisier, Bertol-Graivil, Cahen, Lordon, Félix Dunal, Brunet, Ozun, Fleurant, Aubry, Niel, Fernand Bourgeat, Liouville, Hip-peau, Camille Le Senne, and the representative of Figaro, etc, etc.

© Guide Bleu du Figaro et du Petit Journal 1889