The Brazilian Building has a splendid location southwest of Guatemala, and at the head of a point of land extending into the North Pond. ! he architect of it was Lieut.-Col. Francisco de Souzaaguiar, of the Brazilian army, who is also a delegate to the World’s Fair. The ground plan of the building is in the form of a Greek cross, the outside dimension being 14S by 148 feet. The architecture of the building is French renaissance decorated with Indian figures in the bas-reliefs of the facade, and the stylobate of , the dome. They are allegorical, and representative of the Republic of Brazil. The entire height of the building to the top of the dome is 120 feet. The columns and capitals are Corinthian. The entire roof except the dome is flat and surrounded by a balustrade. There are four campaniles, each with an open observation deck seventy feet above the ground. The interior is in perfect keeping with the exterior in all architectural fixtures. The cost of the building was $9,000. The Brazilian exhibits are scattered through the main buildings of the Fair, but the coffee, diamond and other industries are also represented here.
©The World's Columbian Exposition 1893