Back - List of Pavilions

Haiti - Expo Chicago 1893

Haiti at the Exhibition Expo Chicago 1893

The Haitian pavilion is built in the southern colonial style adapted from the Greek style.

Wide squares flank the three sides, while a central dome rises above the building.

The squares are 3.6 metres wide, and on the pediment above the entrance portico is the coat of arms of the republic.

The entrance opens into a large hall, in the centre of which stands a beautiful statue of "Reverie" by Laforestrie, a local sculptor.

In a room at the back of the pavilion is the Haitian café where visitors are served their best coffee.

All the exhibits from this republic are gathered here instead of being scattered in the different buildings of the exhibition.

There are various relics of the island's natives and Christopher Columbus, as well as the bust and relics of Toussaint Louverture, the first president.

Coffee, sugar, liqueurs, syrups, fibres, minerals, plants and the work of indigenous women can be seen.