Back - List of Pavilions

Paris Chamber of Commerce - Expo Paris 1900

Paris Chamber of Commerce at the Exhibition Expo Paris 1900

Finally, the Paris Chamber of Commerce had erected a very elegant pavilion near the Palais de la Navigation de Commerce; this was a very appropriate location, since the port of Paris, although it is only a river port with the Seine and the Ourcq Canal, is nonetheless the most important port in France.

Placed on the threshold of the Champ de Mars, the Chamber of Paris welcomed foreign trade. This honour was rightfully itss, for no institution takes more to heart the development of our relations and the concern for our peaceful prosperity.

Without mentioning all its foundations, it may be recalled that it is to the Paris Chamber of Commerce that are due the Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales, the Ecole Supérieure de Commerce, the Ecole Commerciale and the evening classes, the whole scale of education which is the increasingly necessary basis for the functioning of modern societies.

The work of the students was exhibited in the salons of the pavilion built by Mr. Lucien Roy, decorated with frescoes by Joannon and a stained glass window by Grasset, recalling the cycle of the Company's ordinary occupations.

If French industry and trade have in many respects allowed themselves to be left behind by the competition of facts, one thing has remained intact on which the most certain assurances can be based: our ancient reputation for courtesy and loyalty.

©L'Exposition du Siècle - 1900