Back - List of Pavilions

Forestry, Hunting and Fishing -

Forestry, Hunting and Fishing at the Exhibition Expo Saint-Louis 1904
Architect(s) : Masqueray

Forests are of such capital importance in these newly populated regions: hunting and fishing, favoured by the vastness of the spaces and the quantity of lakes and rivers as wide as arms of the sea, play such a great role in the economic life of the country that they have been made the subject of an Exhibition as vast as it is interesting in its practical aspects.

The same building contains the exhibitions of the three branches: Forestry, Hunting and Fishing.

Its dimensions are 400 feet wide from north to south and 600 feet long from east to west. It covers more than two acres and stands about 300 yards east of Skinker road and about 40 yards south of Forsyth Avenue west of the French pavilion.

It was designed by Mr Masqueray.

The architecture is easy and uncomplicated.

A fairly high base supports the building. The walls are made up of large recesses.

Above the main entrances, a large triangular window opens, cut by square mullions as wide as panels and making three crosses, two smaller ones on each side.

All the windows on the façade have paired bays separated by mullions.

On the north side there is a portico.

The two large doors are finished with triangular pediments, incomplete fronts, without a continuous cornice: they are surmounted on each side by round belvederes decorated with flags.

Lightning rods set in lamp-ends serve as ornamentation.

The wings on the east and west sides are higher than the centre. The pleasant roofs fall below an almost crenellated modillated cornice.

The architecture of the market, of the central hall, is more food than forestry, that is to say that hunting and fishing have contributed to the inspiration of the work to a greater extent than the woods, and that, if one is sure, from the appearance of the building, to find game and fish, one does not expect to find samples of the most diverse and rare trees, but that it is a place where one can find the best of the best.
the most diverse and rare trees, the most complete species of forestry.

The colours have helped and the glazed bricks, the mosaics, the paintings embellish the building and give it a certain artistic touch.

Its surroundings have been very well cared for; the leafy shrubs, the green beds and the lawns around the edges form a very attractive environment.

The interior, perfectly laid out and built, is very ornate; the luxury of the pavilions, the trophies, the brightness of the colours, the sculptured basins and fountains on all sides make it a pleasant walk, delighting the eyes and resting.

Light comes from the large windows that occupy most of the facades, and also from the openings in the roof.

The central nave is 25 metres wide. The four smaller wings, two on each side, are about 15 metres wide.

A room with seating for 600 people is reserved for them.

The exhibition is complete. It includes, for the forests, collections of seeds and gatherings, indigenous or exotic forest products, equipment for the cultivation of trees and the various handling procedures. It also covers the technical, botanical and topographical aspects of the forests, earthworks and planting, caries, plans, books.

There is no lack of information on hunting and fishing.

From the tanks, aquariums are installed showing live fish and aquatic animals. In the middle, a circular tank 40 feet in diameter and 1.5 metres deep contains marine specimens.

The most infinite variety of live birds and taxidermies are on display, together with drawings, paintings, newspapers and natural history illustrations.

©Exposition internationale de Saint Louis 1904. Rapport général