Back - List of Pavilions

Guatemala - Expo Saint-Louis 1904

Guatemala at the Exhibition Expo Saint-Louis 1904

The pavilion erected by the Republic of Guatemala occupies a place to the north of the Austrian building, next to the Argentine building, although the original site chosen, and marked on most maps as the location of the Guatemala building, was to the west of the French pavilion.

The visitor entering this pleasant building notes a bust of President Estrada Cabrera, the popular executive of the Central American state.

To the right of the entrance is a large room filled with a comprehensive collection of displays of Guatemala's resources.

One side of the room is lined with specimens of many useful indigenous woods, polished and unpolished. Among the agricultural products are various grains, seeds, fibres, barks and useful herbs. There are fabrics, hats, shoes, indigenous clothing, tobacco and its manufactured products, minerals, wines, and most important of all, the display of a very large number of varieties of coffee beans, the main source of Guatemala's wealth.

Banana whisky is presented as a separate novelty.

On the other side of the building is a café, in which maps and artworks are displayed.